Hi I hope everyone is staying healthy and well and being kind to themselves at this time. The recipe I am sharing today is based around caribbean meal ideas. The two recipes I will share are sweet potato fritters and rice and beans. The sweet potato fritters have been they key ingredient served in Pines Foods sweet potato wrap which was a popular favourite at Brick Lane Sunday market.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins fibre and minerals they contain high levels of vitamin A and beta-carotene which is essential in helping the body fight infections. Sweet potatoes have been linked to showing that they help manage diabetes and that they also to help manage stress and improve brain function.
sweet potato fritter
the ingredients for these delicious fritters are as follows:
4 sweet potatoes (which need to be pre baked in an oven so the flesh can easily be scooped out).
4 spring onions
1 sweet red pepper
1 table spoon of organic gluten free flour
dried mixed herbs:thyme, sage, basil and parsley
ground mixed all spice
salt and pepper
- These fritter are so simple to make the first step is to bake the sweet potatoes in the oven until soft the sweet potatoe is the scooped into a bowl and mashed together combined with salt pepper the dried mixed herbs and the spices.
2) roughly chip the spring onion and red pepper into small pieces and combine it into the sweet potato mix, add in 1 tablespoon of flour and mix together.
3) Cover your hands in flour and scoop a small amount of the mixture combine it into a small ball lightly fry in coconut oil and flatten down with a spatula; fry lightly on both sides on a low heat until golden brown.
Rice and beans
For this recipe I use whole grain rice, whole grains are packed with nutrients and have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease type 2 diabetes obesity and some forms of cancer.
2 cups of brown whole grain rice
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
mised dried hebs
i can kidney beans
- Peel and finely chop the onion and carrot, garlic and lightly fry in coconut oil. When golden brown pour in the rice and lightly fry for 1 minute. Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and a small amount of water bring it to the boil.
- Add in the beans dried herbs smoked paprika keep the heat low and simmer until the rice is cooked.
This is the perfect addition to any meal and is so simple to make, please give it a go and tell me how it goes. I hope you have enjoyed reading this and enjoy giving the hun