This cake is inspired by a traditional victoria sponge, it is sweet fruity and of course, gluten free, dairy free and far lower in fat than its traditional counterpart! It is certainly a cake to impress and fantastic to serve if you have guests for tea or even a dinner party.
To make the cakes you will need a silicon cupcake tray as this works incredibly well, and a preheated oven at 150 degrees gas mark 5, Okay so lets begin..
for the sponge you will need
2 tablespoons of coconut cream
2 tablespoons of soya yoghurt
150 g organic gluten free self raising flour
125g organic caster sugar
1 teaspoon organic gluten free baking powder
150g dairy free sunflower spread
for the frosting you will need
125g dairy free sunflower spread
125g icing sugar
1 teaspoon of organic vanilla essence
1 table spoon high grade organic maple syrup.
to decorate you will need
chopped fresh strawberries, mint and strawberry jam
- Whisk together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy, slowly stir in the coconut cream and yoghurt until fully combined.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in, mix together until soft and fluffy. Spoon the mixture into your silicon cupcake tray.
- Place the tray in oven and leave for around 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. While these are cooking ensure you wash up and generally tidy up any mess you have created in the process!
- to create the frosting Combine your sunflower spread, vanilla essence, icing sugar and maple syrup and beat until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- When your cakes are ready allow them to cool for a few hours, when cool slice away the top and bottom of each cake to leave you with circular cake slices.
- One by one ice the top of a cake slice and apply a layer of jam. Place fresh strawberry pieces on each slice and stack 3 slices together, decorate with fresh mint and strawberry slices and enjoy