Knowing your food is diary free is an absolute joy as it is so much healthier and leaves you feeling light and guilt free. This sponge cake is completely free from diary products and also gluten free, meaning your calorie consumption is drastically reduced. It is the perfect addition to any afternoon tea or even an after dinner dessert. It’s soft melt in your mouth texture accompanied by the creamy lemon icing is super satisfying and sure to leave you smiling.
For the sponge you will need:
2 silicon circular cake tins
500g of gluten- free organic self raising flour
2 tsp of gluten free organic baking powder
500g organic vegan butter
zest and juice of 2 unwaxed organic lemons
4 table spoons of organic soya yoghurt
300g of organic high grade maple syrup
A high speed food processor with whisk attachment or even better a cake whisk
(heres a selection of some of my ingredients before I started cooking)
For the lemon frosting you will need
300g of organic vegan butter
the juice of 1 unwaxed organic lemon
1 teaspoon of organic vanilla essence
350g icing sugar
to decorate you can use lemon slices dipped in maple syrup and golden sugar balls (decorations are optional though)
Preheat your oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes before you start.
Okay so lets begin by making the sponge cake….
Now for the steps
- whisk together the maple syrup and butter until fully combined.
- sieve in the flour slowly and fold into the mixture, add in baking powder and whisk again.
- pour the mixture into a bowl and add the yoghurt and lemon juice and mix using a wooden spoon until combined.
- divide the mixture evenly between your 2 baking tins and place in your preheated oven for around 20-25 minutes, (While they are cooking you can tidy up any mess and prepare the frosting but bare in mind you wont be able to decorate your cake until it is completely cool.
- If you think the cakes are done but not sure check by placing a sharp knife through the middle if it comes out clean then they are ready.
Now to prepare the fantastic frosting!
It’s super easy whisk all your ingredients together until they form soft peaks and the colour lightens.
When your cakes are ready let them cool on a baking tray for a few hours and then spread frosting over one cake place the other on top and sandwich the 2 cakes together.
completely cover the cake in frosting using a blunt knife and then use a fork to create the messy effect. Decorate using lemon slices and golden balls.
and there you have it a delicious lemon sponge cake, perfect!